Looking for a cute and entertaining DIY craft for the kids when you’re stuck indoors? We’ve got the perfect craft that isn’t too messy or hard. Perfect for all ages!
DIY Craft Heart Suncatcher
We found this on Fireflies + Mud Pies and we fell in love! Which reminds us, this is a perfect Valentine’s Day craft or even as a gift for a parent’s birthday. With just five easy steps you can have these beautiful rainbow suncatchers up on your windows for display!
Fireflies and Mud Pies provides a heart template at this link, https://www.firefliesandmudpies.com/wp-content/uploads/Rainbow-Heart-Suncatcher-Template.pdf
Of course, you can draw your own heart as well.
You will also need the following:
tissue paper (cut up into 1 by 1 inch squares)
foam paint brushes
1 clear sheet protector
DIY Easy Craft Steps
Now, let’s get down to business with the easy five steps. Here are the directions:
1. You want to gather the supplies and demonstrate to your child(ren) how to cut the tissue paper into small squares. Let them cut up as many colors and have fun with it! While they cut up the tissue paper, print out the heart template onto your white cardstock. Or if you prefer, draw your own heart on the cardstock.
2. Once you have enough squares of colorful tissue paper cut, have your kid(s) spread a thick layer of the Mod Podge on their sheet of plastic. Next, you’re going to gently press the tissue paper squares into the Mod Podge. Using the paintbrush to decoupage the colorful squares right onto that plastic sheet. So, you’re adding an additional layer of Mod Podge on top of the squares since you already have a layer underneath them on the plastic.
TIP: Mod Podge is very sticky so keep damp paper towels or wet wipes close by!
3. Step three, giving your plastic sheet time to dry, have your kid(s) cut the heart template out.
4. Now, you need to very gently bend that plastic sheet in order to peel découpaged layer of tissue paper from the sheet.
5. Have your child trace a heart on said tissue paper. Once they finish tracing, cut the heart out.
Easy-peasy, right? Afterwards, you simply attach the finished rainbow suncatchers to any window with double-sided tape. The perfect craft to add color and smiles to a gloomy indoor day.
Once you master the steps, you can get a bit carried away with all the possibilities…